We’ve scoured the earth (or at least south east Asia) searching for the cheapest prescription eye glasses available at retail. Â And it looks like Manila is the winner when it comes to frame selection and custom lenses. Â So for all of you who are blind as a bat, rejoice! Â To find out exactly where this magical place is…keep reading.
Rizal Street, Quiapo District (North of Pasig River) Manila, The Philippines
- Frames: Â
- $7.50 USD
- Regular:Â $7.50 USD
- Non-glare, Radiation Blocking: $15.00 USD
The frames are comparable to those that you’d find in any other retail shop, although the display isÂ definitelyÂ lacking. Â You should expect to have to dig through boxes of frames before you find what you’re looking for. Â But despite that, you should have no trouble finding a style that suits your tastes…weather it be the “designer brands” or not. Â The lenses themselves are top notch.
Simply begin by browsing through the frames. Â Most vendors will have the same styles for sale so you don’t need to search the entire area. Â Once you’ve identified your perfect frames, here’s what to do:
- Tell the person behind the counter that you want to add prescription lenses to the frames.
- You will then buy your frames and go to theÂ optometrist upstairs on the 2nd floor. Â The person who sold you the frames can show you the way.
- From here you’ll be working with the optometrist. Â To create your new lenses you’ll need either an existing pair of glasses, a prescription or a new eye exam.
- TheÂ optometristÂ will quote you a price. Â If you agree, he will create and mount your prescription lenses in your new frames.
Now this is where the real beauty comes into play. Â You can have your lenses crafted and placed within 1 hour. Â We had 4 pairs done within that 1 hour time period.
How to Get There:
The easiest and cheapest way to get there is to take theÂ LTR lineÂ north and get off atÂ Carriedo Station. Â You will exit the station onÂ Rizal Street, and from there just walk to the East side of the street. Â Here, start to look for the vendors selling eye glass frames. Â They’re the ones inside the store fronts, not outside on the street.
TheÂ Optometrist:Dr. Ted V. Nicolas, O.D. TJN Antipara Optical Clinic U-20 2nd Floor, Emerald Circle Bldg., Rizal Ave., Sta. Cruz, Manila, The Philippines